A Man on a Mission:
When you first get to know Justyn Brodsky, he seems like a musician who is passionate about his music, intent on helping other musicians, enthusiastic, and talented. Justyn is also the CEO of Artist Reach. What you may not know about my colleague Justyn is that he lost two brothers, Aryn and Erik, to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Justyn is currently running a birthday fundraiser in honor of his brothers, to help families who have a child or family members with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Justyn has stated he is donating 100% of the profits to help others directly afflicted by this disorder.
Here are 5 facts about Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy:
- 1) Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is a genetic disorder with progressive muscular degeneration and weakness, particularly in the arms, legs, and tissues surrounding the heart.
- 2) Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is the most common fatal genetic disorder diagnosed in childhood, with about 20,000 new cases every year in the world.
- 3) Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy almost exclusively targets males. Girls are almost never diagnosed with it.
- 4) Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is the most common inherited muscle disease in children.
- 5) The life expectancy for those diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy ranges from late teens to early 20s. The primary cause of death is usually cardio-respiratory failure.
Musicians are also affected by Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
In the world of music, you may have heard of Rapper musician Darius, and his struggle to accomplish his dreams despite having this debilitating disorder. Sadly, he lost his fight with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy in October 2017. He was 27 years old.
Pianist Brandon Myers fought to complete his music degree while coping with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. He wanted to teach music to students and teens, using his Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy challenges and his love of music to help inspire them. Tragically, Brandon Myers passed away before he could complete his degree. The Five Towns College posthumously awarded his diploma to his parents.
What can you do to help?
There are several ways to make a difference. You can increase awareness of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy simply by sharing articles like this one.
Justyn Brodsky is running a fundraiser right now. You can make a donation of any amount via Justyn’s ongoing GoFundMe campaign:
– or –
Contact Justyn Brodsky directly for other ways to donate:
Mom Stephanie Brodsky has written that all donations to Justyn Brodsky’s Birthday Fundraiser will be matched 100% by NBC Universal. Read the details of the fundraiser on their Facebook Fundraising page. Although that Birthday Fundraiser ends on Justyn’s birthday, the effort to help fight Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy continues throughout the year. See the GoFundMe link above.
If you are looking for more facts and information, you can visit the Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy site at:
We at Skonnie Music believe the power of music can make a positive difference in the world. We are painfully touched by Justyn’s story of his brothers, and all families of children afflicted with this devastating disorder. Hopefully this article will help increase awareness of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
Connie Yerbic, Skonnie Music